Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Before I forget, lets recap the Ride the Ridge Race. It was drizzling when I left my house, and I knew the course was going to be tough. I also knew there were at least 6 single speeders registered, so I'd have some work to do. I had the all-conditions tires mounted up, my belly was full (perhaps too full) and I was off. At the starting line, I see Gordon and his blinged out Superfly. I'v ridden with this guy twice, and I know he is silly fast. I recognized one or two others, but Gordon was the only one that worried me. He was running XR1s, an interesting tire choice in those conditions.

We took off w/ the sport riders and hit much traffic on the early climbs. Lots of dismounts and running, but it made Bear Hole go by pretty fast. Before long I was closing in on Gordon. We ended up rolling together for 1/2 a lap or so, chatting it up and having a good time. I was under the impression he was in 1st, so when I passed him, I was feeling good. I expected him to hold my wheel, but after a few turns, I lost him. Two climbs into lap two, I see a guy off his bike on a climb, bellowing encouragement to me. He mounted and I noticed he was on a single. Hell....where did he come from? I give chase, but he maintains a good lead. Maybe a mile later, he has his bike upside down on the side of the trail. I ask if he needs anything...he says no...and I take off, pretty sure I *really* have the lead this time. I dismounted for plenty of muddy climbs, nervous every time that I'd see one of those two hammering up behind me, but I maintained my gap. Shortly after I passed the lead man, I lost my chain, but I got it back on it a few seconds and got rolling again....maybe a 20 second ordeal in all. Note: tighten up that EBB before the next race.

So, I won, against some pretty solid competition. I think we are all in our early season condition...not quite where we'd like to be, and I know Gordon will likely hand me my arse next time, but it was nice to start the season off with a win. I felt pretty good throughout, despite the lack of early season saddle-time.

Next up...Hilbert #1. Fun will be had.

1 comment:

Scott-tay said...

Good riding out there by ya on a tough course with less-than-ideal conditions.